Spring/Summer 2013 Advertising Campaign
Explore Minnesota Tourism advertising primarily directs consumers to Minnesota travel and tourism opportunities on exploreminnesota.com, with a secondary goal of creating general awareness of Minnesota as a travel destination. Two new demographic consumer targets were identified through segmentation research and dubbed "Cultural Explorers" and "Spontaneous Adventurers." The "More to Explore" campaign launched in 2011 has been updated to reflect these consumer segments with a new look in 2013 for TV, Print and interactive advertising.
EMT Spring/Summer 2013 Advertising Flowchart (PDF file)
- New 15 and 30 second spots feature key words to illustrate the "More to Explore" theme. Phrases like "More to Catch," More to Spin" and "More To Rock" are paired with new film of various activity around the state to match the key words. TV ads placed April - July (some breaks) in the Twin Cities, Milwaukee, Madison, Des Moines, Chicago, Winnipeg and in Greater Minnesota through the Minnesota Broadcasters Association in April and June. Also includes buys on Fox Sports North broadcasts of Minnesota Twins games, and WUMN TV/Univision (Spanish language) in the Twin Cities.
- Radio advertising through the Minnesota Broadcasters Association in greater Minnesota with 4 six week flights promoting Minnesota travel opportunities with 5 MORE to Explore "jingle" spots.
- Radio sponsorship messages on Minnesota Public Radio on 89.3 The Current
- Paid search advertising campaigns on Google, Yahoo and MSN (Bing)
- Banners and web content with links to exploreminnesota.com on media websites including: Star Tribune, TwinCities.com,KARE-11, Minnesota Public Radio, and Bring Me The News
- Online and mobile advertising with WeatherBug and Greystripe, and display banner audience targeting with ValueClick and Adswerve
- Custom online and mobile video banners through Spongecell and Radium One
- Online lead generation programs with travelinformation.com and TravelGuidesFree.com
- Facebook ads to drive publication distribution & increase fans on our Facebook page
- Monthly E-mail's to subscribers and 350,000 geo-targeted consumers; primarily promoting timely summer topics
- Spring emails with Star Tribune, TwinCities.com, Chicago Sun Times, Des Moines Register, Forum Communications and MPR
- Spring/Summer Explorer Newspaper distributed in Star Tribune Sunday, March 24
- Six page cooperative advertising section in March/April issue of Midwest Living Magazine, and a full page ad in the May issue of Minnesota Monthly
Marketing Partnerships and Promotions
- Marketing partnership promotions with: KARE 11; Minnesota Public Radio; Mall of America; MN Historical Society; Anderson Race Management; Minnesota Craft Brewery Guild and Minnesota Golf Association & Explore Minnesota Golf Alliance.
- More to Explore Vacation Mixer promotion May-June on exploreminnesota.com and Facebook with extensive advertising online. Consumers are encouraged to create their own 30 second video from scenes from EMT TV spots and share it on Facebook. A sweepstakes with five $1,000 gift cards will be help incent consumers to try the Video Mixer.